The typical FaceBook business page url is very long and looks something like this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lanergy-Solutions/219404281424207. If you are marketing your FaceBook business page in print advertising or other methods where you need to display the actual url, this long url is very cumbersome. You can actually create a short url for FaceBook business pages to alleviate this problem.
How to Get a Short URL for FaceBook Business Pages
- Get at least 25 people to LIKE your business page.
- Log in to FaceBook and go to your business page.
- Click on the EDIT link near the top of the page (not the one in the left sidebar).
- Click on Resources in the left hand column.
- Click on “Select a Username”.
- Enter a username in the space provided and click Check Availability.
- Complete steps to assign the username to your business page.
- Your business page now has a short url with the format www.facebook.com/username. In the example above, the username was changed to http://www.facebook.com/lanergysolutions.
Old versus New FaceBook Page URL
Creating a short url for FaceBook pages is great for marketing and, quite frankly, for remembering your business page url! The old url will still work, so you do not need to worry about places where you may have previously used the long url. There are some cases where you may need to know the ID for your business page. The ID is the number displayed at the end of your old url. Certain WordPress plug-ins that feature your fans and number of likes will ask for the ID in order to function properly. You may therefore want to make note of what your page ID was since you will only see the shorter URL when you visit your FaceBook business page after you have made the change.